The Bradman Foundation, which owns and operates the Bradman Museum, is a non-profit charitable trust. Employing twenty staff members necessary to oversee the daily operations of the Bradman Museum, the Foundation boasts a healthy band of volunteers who support the Museum and its many programs.
Current volunteers at the Museum enjoy assisting with collection cataloguing, reading and classifying memorabilia, conducting private Museum tours for groups large and small, marketing and administration duties, shop assistance, working in the Museum Library and group catering for many functions throughout the year, including our international fixtures.
The Volunteer Program actively seeks to encourage and increase the roll of individuals available to assist with a variety of duties at the Museum. These include:
- The Bradman Museum Collection
- Tour Guide
- Catering / Functions
- International Matches
- Administration & Data Entry
If you have the skills and the time to participate in the Volunteer Program we have a Volunteer Coordinator at the Museum who would love to hear from you. Please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (02) 4862 1247 to discuss the program further.
Vale Judith Dey, 1923-2011
All our volunteers are special, but sometimes we don’t realise how special they are until we have lost them. A perfect example of this is Judith Dey, who helped us out for the best part of a decade until a couple of years ago. While we recognised her as an exceptionally intelligent and vibrant woman, we didn’t know the full extent of her achievements.
Dr Judith Dey AO, MBBS (Syd), DCH (Lon) challenged men in a field many of them regarded as their own, not only by becoming a doctor but by establishing a career in the fledgling medical speciality of paediatrics.
In the 1950s, when most women had never heard of the women’s movement, she began quietly making a statement that girls could have a career and serve their community. She built her life, professionally and personally, she said, on ”the importance of family, community service and involvement and equal opportunity for women”.
Dey graduated from the University of Sydney with honours in medicine in 1946 and became a junior resident medical officer at Sydney Hospital. She then began a long professional association with the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Children, becoming chief resident medical officer in 1950, a position her father had held in 1916. Postgraduate study at the University of Edinburgh and the University of Sydney added a bachelor of medical science and a diploma of childcare from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in London.
In 1956, after three years in private practice in Macquarie Street, Dey entered the field of developmental disabilities. She was appointed to the Spastic Centre (now the Cerebral Palsy Alliance) as medical officer, and at the same time was assistant paediatrician at Rachel Forster Hospital and honorary medical officer at Tresillian at Vaucluse.
From 1957 to 1965 she was the first medical superintendent of the Lorna Hodgkinson Sunshine Home at Gore Hill, before moving to the NSW Health Commission where she became medical superintendent and chief executive officer of Grosvenor Hospital. In 1977 she became regional mental retardation adviser to the Illawarra health region and consultant to the Riverina and Murray regions.
Dey was a member of the Australian College of Paediatricians for more than 45 years. She was a world expert in mental disability and a foundation member and the first woman president of the Australian Group for Scientific Study of Mental Deficiency.
Despite her busy professional life, Dey found time to be a charter member of the Zonta Club, a service organisation with the mission of advancing the status of women, set up in Sydney in 1966. After retiring in 1985 moved the Southern Highlands and joined the Bowral Horse Show Society, became a senior steward, a committee member and donated the perpetual trophy for the champion harness pony. She was a life member of the Berrima and District Pony Club and a long-time member of the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW, which she had joined as a junior member before World War II.
In 1977 she was awarded a Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal and, in 1987, was made an Officer of the Order of Australia.
Reprinted with permission from the Sydney Morning Herald