Bowral Cricket Club
The earliest reference to sport in Bowral was a cricket match between Wollongong and Mittagong that was played at Bowral in April 1871.
In 1884 Oxley’s paddock was used for playing cricket. In 1885 a two-day match between the English eleven and a Bowral District twenty-two was a highlight of cricket history. In the first innings England scored 132 and Bowral were all out for 14. In the second innings stumps were drawn when Bowral had lost 4 wickets for 14. On the first days play about 1000 people watched with about 1200 watching on the second day. The English cricket team visited Bowral again in 1887 and 1891. Cricket was played on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Surveyors Camp Cricket Club was formed between 1894 and 1895 and had a name change in 1905 to Bowral Cricket Club, which continued to play.
Bowral is best known for its association with Sir Donald Bradman who arrived in the town when he was three. He played for the local school against Mittagong and scored 115 runs not out and took 8 wickets. His captain asked him to retire on 72 runs in the return match. It was then asked by the captain of Mittagong to leave Bradman out of the team or they would forfeit the match. Bradman abandoned cricket for two years after leaving school in favour of tennis. He joined Bowral Cricket Club in 1924 and had a meteoric career. In 1925 and 1926 he scored 985 runs in 9 innings. In 1927 he began playing first class cricket for St George and in 1928 he entered test cricket.